OrchidVault.com and SapphireDragonOrchids.com have merged. We have tried to move over as much of the reference information from the original Orchid Vault site to the new site. There is still some ongoing work happening on the new site, if you notice anything missing please send us a note.
Orchid Vault is an information repository intended to be a resource on anything orchid related, but heavily focused on hybridizing and lab protocols. It is extremely important to us that we continue to promote all aspects of orchid growing including the sharing of information on growing, hybridizing and lab protocols. This section on Sapphire Dragon Orchids is replacing the content that was previously on the OrchidVault website.
Future topics will include general orchid articles, hybridizing information, lab protocols, growing techniques, etc. If you have information you would like to publish, please contact us through the Contacts form.
We hope you find the resources below helpful.
Laboratory and Technical Orchid Information from us and a few of our friends.
- Chromosome Counting - Root Tip Squash Protocol
- Orchid Nomenclature - by Robert Bedard
- Seed Pod Harvest Timings - full article coming soon
Flasking Media Formulas
At SDO we have a few standard media that we have been using for many years. These have been specifically optimized Phalaenopsis. If you have any other genera specific formulas that you would like to share, please send them to us so that we can post them as reference here.
My Orchid Vault
My Orchid Vault(MOV) is a personal orchid data management system designed with orchid growers and hybridizers in mind. MOV is an elegant, yet simple database that is both pleasing and easy to use. This is not your average enterprise software with grey color palettes and blocky layouts. We know you grow orchids because they are aesthetically pleasing, so why not use a software system for managing them that you enjoy just as much..Read More
Orchid Information & Supply Resources
We have a few preferred vendors where we get most of our supplies. They are listed here with links to their websites for your convenience. NOTE we do not accept advertising payments and Sapphire Dragon Orchids has no formal affiliation with the companies listed below.
Organizations & Resources:
- The Royal Horticulture Society Orchid Register
- The American Orchid Society
- International Phalaenopsis Alliance
- The Orchid Mall (listing of orchid related vendors)
- Phalaenopsis Species and Primary Hybrids (Alan Brochart's website with information about most Phalaenopsis species and many primary hybrids. A great resource!)
- PhytoTech Labs (flasking media, culture vessels and other lab supplies)
- Berlin Packaging (glass bottles)
- Chula Orchids (clear orchid pots)
- Hummert International (horticultural supplier, go here for harder to find supplies)
Ploidy & Hybrid Data
Known Ploidy Database - Live list of known ploidy and chromosome count data, primarily for Phalaenopsis.
Coerulea Phalaenopsis Hybrids List - coming soon
Sapphire Dragon Orchids Hybrids List - Full list of all of our hybrids that have flowered out and have been registered.